Recently Diagnosed with a Chronic Illness? Here is a Checklist to Get Your Affairs In Order…Published On: Wednesday, May 09, 2018
The first step is to learn how the symptoms may impact your living situation (such as needing to add ramps) and the impact it may have on your income and budget. Do you foresee the need for home care or moving into a full care facility?
The next step is work with your financial planner to ensure you have the funds necessary to provide for you and your family during any time of disability. Also, see how much of your financial life can be automated. Once you have these concerns addressed, make an appointment with your estate planning attorney to cover the following issues:
- revise your power of attorney and health care directives to address the characteristics of your illness.
- Review all payable on death designations and beneficiary designations.
- Help you create a care manager and care plan
- Confirm your health care coverage, long term care policies and all other supplemental insurance is adequate for the type of care you will you need.
- Take proactive steps with Medicare/Medicaid planning.
- Determine if you qualify for Social Security disability benefits.
- Review any tax liability potential and properly plan to lessen that liability.
If you have recently been diagnosed with a chronic illness and you live in the Baltimore area, we can help you create an estate plan that addresses the particular diagnosis. Call 443-470-3599 today for an appointment.
To learn more or get started on your estate plan, just schedule a time to visit us for a no obligation complimentary consultation.Schedule Free Consultation